A Redwall FanFic

by Sare Agama

I can't think of a name, so if you have suggestions, please post them. Anyway, here's to Redwall! :D

Chapter One

From the diary of Deidan, historian and recorder of Redwall Abbey.

All is peaceful. The birds are singing, the insects buzzing. I can hear the Dibbuns "helping" in the orchard. It is the end of The Summer of the Copper Rose. We never did have such beautiful roses as this summer!

Blackcurrant wine, fizzy Strawberry Cordial, October Ale from two autumns ago, and goodness knows what else! Oh, and Barley Water! All these delicious drinks brewed by the Stickleback family are to be used at this coming feast. I did mention the feast didn’t I? My mind is overrun with thoughts about it. It is our good Abbess Latter Rose’s tenth jubilee.

The otters, (excluding my good self), are gathering water shrimp, penny cress, and water chestnut. Half of them are really playing around, but Skipper is doing well enough without them. They will soon traverse Mossflower and invite all the woodlanders to come to our feast when they are done.

Hmmm.. I smell something good! That must be good old Friar Burdock is in his kitchen preparing the food. Pastries, pies, soups, candied chestnuts, salads, cheeses, cakes, puddings, and other tasty morsels. His staff of helpers are also down there. I can smell it from here, the otters have returned and are making hot root soup. It is a favorite of the otters, myself included. I don't suppose they would mind if I popped in to see what help they need? But first, I must wash off this ink! It gets tiresome writing and keeping track of all these diaries! Perhaps I will retire and let young Tarrel take over. She is very eager to learn the way of a scholar.

Deidan, (Recorder of Redwall Abbey.)

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:20 pm
blackpencil wrote a review...

In reply to one of your replies, sorry about your grandpa. My regards.
In reply to your story, good job! I hope you didn't write this piece to dwell forever in forums all alone! If you did, I would have to berate you, because that would make it a pointless tale. It would sound like you are only writing to list the main things Redwall characters have at their wonderful feasts; like some sort of list, but in a more decorative manner. You probably said you were planning to write a sequel in one of your many replies to posts (forgive me for not reading all of them) however, so if that is so, disregard my last remark.
You are exceptional at grammer for being only eleven! I read lots of stories, and most of them are riddled with countless grammatical errors and such, but I could hardly find any in yours! Don't get me wrong, they're there, just not blatantly obvious, like some people's...
From your writing style and accurate descriptions, I would say you're a great Redwall fan. So am I. I love the stuff. Of course you've heard it before, but your writing style is similar to Brian Jacques. That's not a bad thing, though! Not to brag or anything, but I've been told my writing is similar to J.R.R Tolkien, which is awesome, because I love fantasy.
Holy flying cows look at that. I've accidentally given you a big review (by my standards, anyway)! Sorry about that. Bye, and keep up the good work!

Genevieve :P wrote a review...

I liked it, very descriptive, and well written.

There wasn't really that much content and I'm wondering if that is the whole of chapter one, or just the introduction? Anyway it is nice and sets the scene well. I don't really know much about Redwall feasts etc. but from what I have read it has the right aspects.

You should continue. :D I can't wait to see how the story unravels itself

ANate145 says...

Yes, I said that as a compliment. Please don't take it the wrong way! I really liked it. I liked it very very very very very very very very much. Also, If you have any ideas for anaother Redwall fanfic, please PM me.

fluteluvr77 says...

Oh, Climber, it doesn't sound like you're copying! I didn't mean it that way...It just sounds like a professional writer wrote it and all that! It was supposed to be a compliment xD.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:22 am
Sare Agama says...

If it looks like I'm... copying, that's because i thought a fan-fic was where we wrote using the authors style to create another one. Sorry about that. Forgive?

I will try to fix what you pointed out, fluteluvr. Welcome to YWS, ANate145!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:16 pm
ANate145 says...

I think this is great! I was thinking of writing a Redwall story myself, but it looks like you could do it about three times better! I am a fan of Redwall books as well, and like others have said, it sounds like it came right out a Redwall book.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 am
fluteluvr77 wrote a review...

'Kay Climber, sorry for the extremely slow review. I'll be a lot faster next time! To make up for it, this review is going to be extremely long & hopefully helpful! :D So, nitpicks first.

I would italicize this since technically it isn't part of the story.
All is peaceful. The birds are singing, the insects buzzing. I can hear the Dibbuns "helping" in the orchard.

I would delete the first sentence. You're showing us the peace very well by setting the scene. The first sentence just makes it all telling.
It is the end of The Summer of the Copper Rose. We never did have such beautiful roses as this summer!

Delete the second sentence. If you name it The Summer of the Copper Rose, then it's quite obvious that there are beautiful roses?
All these delicious drinks brewed by the Stickleback family are to be used at this coming feast.

For some reason, I don't like the phrasing this coming feast. Did you mean this upcoming feast?
My mind is overrun with thoughts about it. It is our good Abbess Latter Rose’s tenth jubilee.

The first sentence doesn't fit in the diction used in the other sentences. It doesn't seem like something that an Abbeydweller would say. But, that might just be me...
They will soon traverse Mossflower and invite all the woodlanders to come to our feast when they are done.

Again, "traverse Mossflower" doesn't sound like a Redwaller to me. I commend you for using big words, but they just don't seem to fit here.
Deidan, (Recorder of Redwall Abbey.)

I would italicize this...just like I would italicize the first sentence.
Alright, I'm done with the nitpicks! Concept-ish stuff time! :smt041
~The good thing is that most of the story sounded like something written by Brian Jacques. Yet, you managed to add your own personal flair to it. Great job on that.
~You seemed to want to use better vocabulary and you used it correctly. Yet, it didn't really fit in the context of the story. I would sacrifice the vocabulary for the characteristics that you want to show in Redwallers (simple, generous etc.)
~You kept this at a good pace and kept the reader interested. So, good job with that.
~I would like you to elaborate a little more on the Abbey. I know it's just the prologue and stuff, but maybe you could describe it a little more. For instance, you talk about Dibbuns, but if the reader didn't read Redwall, they would have no idea what's going on. So, elaborate!
~And last, I would describe the weather a bit more. It seems like one of the most important concurring theme in Redwall are the seasons. Although you mention what season it is, elaborate on the beauty of nature a bit more.
Other than that great job on this! I really can't wait for the next part!
fluteluvr77<3

Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:35 pm
Lilyy03 wrote a review...

*grins* How wonderful! You've captured the tone and atmosphere of Redwall very well. Almost a little too well. It's very much Brian Jacques's style of writing and I can imagine it coming from any of the real Redwall books--but I'd also like to see a bit more of your own voice. Also, as others have said, it wouldn't hurt to throw in some action and dialog, something to tug us along into the story. I enjoyed Deidan's descriptions of the season and feast, but maybe he could also narrate something interesting that happened during the day? The first inklings of a conflict that you'll expand later on? Just an idea!

Also, I generally dislike making "for your age" remarks, but I am very impressed that you've written this at just 11. Good work.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:30 pm
Sare Agama says...

Yeah, I noticed those as my mom was viewing my story. It was only ten o'clock, and she wouldn't let me change it.

What do you mean, USED to be addicted to Redwall?

I'll fix those little errors. Just got back from my grandpa's memorial service.

-ClimberSquirrel

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 pm
Ha6647 wrote a review...

Good, job, I used to be addicted to all the Red Wall books. And for only being eleven you are doing a great job. I agree with some of the others that it would be hard to decide on a title for this as you are just starting out with it. Here are a few little mistakes I noticed off the top of my head...

Hmmm.. I something smell good! That

-Probably meant to say, "Hmmm... I smell something good." :P

But first, I must was off this ink!

- I'm guessing you meant "wash", just a small spelling mistaken but something to fix.

Anyway just those two small things should be fixed, but other then that good job. Once again, I am greatly impressed that you are only eleven!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:30 pm
Sare Agama says...

Aww shucks! :oops: :oops: lol:

I think I have time now to post more. Even though Ygaron is pestering me to get on, I should be able to squeeze this in as well as a storybook I'm making. *groans* Now Kyte wants to talk to his friends becuse tody is his Birth- Day.:roll: Wow, I ramble on a LOT! :D

[spoiler]Tarrel is a hare, and at the end of the story, she is going to be recorder.[/spoiler]

There, that should do it for now! I've added a little more to the description of the feast.

-ClimberSquirrel

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 pm
Luvzi12 says...

Aww you're so gracious, and very talented for an 11year old or otherwise :)

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:15 pm
Sare Agama says...

Such wonderful compliments, and I'm only 11! :D

I only have time to edit the ending, Ygaron and Kyte's birth-day party is today. :roll: Ah well, such is the life of a young sister.

* bows formally* Thank you for your compliments, critiques, and helpful tips!

I better go before I over do it! :D :D

-ClimberSquirrel

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:56 am
Luvzi12 wrote a review...

The Summer of the Copper Rose

Very nice choice of season name!

I know that you don't have to write in the style of the original writer, but from a character perspective, sentences like these two:
They are supposed to go

I’m off to the kitchens

don't seem very Redwallian, so to speak. It just seems a bit out of character, compared to the rest.

I know this was a short introduction, but I just feel as though the character is a little underdeveloped and doesn't seem very much as though he fits in within the cast of Redwall; he also signs off far too quickly in my opinion.

It sounds like it is very much like the Redwall series, and I'm sure you will continue to a very good plot (if that is your intention), but I just think a little more tweaking of the character is needed to make this a bit more interesting. Good work though!

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:19 am
Sare Agama says...

If only my brothers could give me a critique like that! Thanks for pointing out the title thing. BTW, which books have you read? I've read all of them, unless any have come out since Eulailia.*Not sure if any have*

Thanks for your critique! I'll post more when I get a couple more critiques.

-ClimberSquirrel

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:29 am
denj wrote a review...

I'm a big fan of the Redwall books, and this is probably the best fanfic I've read so far (but I haven't read many)! It would be hard to come up with a title at this point in the story, since we really don't know what's going to happen yet. Your descriptions were flawless, very similar in style to Brian Jacque's own. I'll have to follow this one and see where it leads! Very nice job!

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 pm
Sare Agama says...

Sorry it took so long to reply, but thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll change it to the end of Summer, because I have some better names for it. I was pretty desperate when I wrote the season name.

(But please, don't TRY to write like somebody else intentionally. But you probably didn't try it. )
You are right, I didn't mean to write it like Brian Jaques intentionally. I was just caught up in his stories, if you know what I mean. I f you don't, ignore my ramblings! :D

Then a few words to a friend or a typical bad guy ferret would make for a very shadowy, mysterious, "What's going on?" moment.
I remember how Brian Jaques would have a poem or song in the beginning. he sometimes had a couple of chapters with the bad guys or the hares of Salamandastron.(Love that name!) Is that what you mean?

Once again, I thank you for your critiques, and I will fix those errors you pointed out.

-ClimberSquirrel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:35 pm
Gabe wrote a review...

If I didn't know I would of thought it was Brian Jaques himself. You have same writing style. and I mean that in a good way. (But please, don't TRY to write like somebody else intentionally. But you probably didn't try it. )

excellent description. It makes me feel like I can smell it myself. good work

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:44 am
Meep wrote a review...

ClimberSquirrel, edits by Meep wrote:All is peaceful. The birds are singing, the insects buzzing. I can hear [s]the abbey babes, known as the [/s]Dibbuns[s],[/s] helping in the orchard.

Anyone reading this record (or fic :wink: ) would know who/what the Dibbuns are, so you don't need to say.

ClimberSquirrel, edits by Meep wrote:It is the beginning of The Autumn of the Fallen Leaves.

Doncha think this is kind of a redundant name for an autumn? Pick something particular about this autumn; leaves always fall in, well, fall.

Other than that, I think you've got a pretty good start, except for a couple of things: One, you haven't really introduced much of a plot, and two, this reads a lot like the opening of pretty much every Redwall novel. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, just something to keep in mind. You don't have to imitate an author's style when writing fanfiction.

The other thing I'd consider is just tightening up word choice, especially things that the readers might already know (eg: with the Dibbuns). Also, try not to copy too much. Just taking the original and changing a few things doesn't really count. :wink:

I'll be sure to check back for more.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 pm
RatchetWriter says...

Hey, don't be in to much of a hurry, even though it's fanfiction. It's good to wait at least 3 days for other people to see and crit, and give them time to write one. Some people, (including me) read something, leave, and then the next day come back and crit it.
IMHO a character entry would work best, you wouldn't even need dialogue; kindof picture it, an otter, or something, walking through the shade of oak trees on some green mossy bankside. Then a few words to a friend or a typical bad guy ferret would make for a very shadowy, mysterious, "What's going on?" moment.
Then flipping to your wonderful first chapter introduction the story could proceed to develop.
Since this is fanfiction you aren't copying anything at all, as far as I can tell, as long as it's not exactly the same thing, you're good.

And I have no idea for a title yet, though it's not really needed for a while anyway.

Snap... I write long reponses.. :roll:

RW

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:40 pm
Sare Agama says...

Thanks, I'll add in more A.S.A.P. I'll pm you when I've added it. Should I add the action or dialogue/character entry before or after the entry? As for the beginning, I read part of Mattimeo, and made my own characters and diary entry. I changed a few things and added some, so I'm not actually copying it, am I? BTW, any suggestions on the title? I still haven't. Maybe if I add more I'll think of one. Thanks again! :D :P

-ClimberSquirrel

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:49 pm
RatchetWriter wrote a review...

Hey,

Pretty good work!

I saw no grammar mistakes, and the way it is read, it could almost come right out of Redwall.
Simply said though, before this piece, some action, or at least some dialogue/enter a character is needed, because even in the spirit of classic Redwall feasts, (of which this does an excellent job of describing) this is kinda boring for an introduction.

As an introduction for the first chapter however this would work great. And since this is just fanfiction which isn't exactly writing stories (debatable) I applaud you! :smt026 :smt023 :smt026

RW

The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill